Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Out with the old and in with the new




From The New Statesman;

"In the UK we throw away more consumer products, and faster, than anywhere else in Europe. The result is a shocking - and unsustainable - mountain of discarded hardware.
Just as Britain tops the European league for marriage breakdowns, so it also now tops the league for falling in love with consumer products and then throwing them away when newer models come out."

My dad came to mind as I read this. He's been through so many tools in my lifetime.

As a new home owner I've found myself back at my parents trawling through their garage (mass storage bin) looking for bits and bobs for painting and decorating, plumbing and so on that I'd remember seeing him with when I was younger.

Where on earth are they now?

I bet you all have examples of this type of waste. I don't think the main reason we splash out on something new is just because its new. Its either because we run out of room or we just cant bear to see the tools we so badly ruined parts of our homes with in such amateur style!

Your comments please.

No comments: